Saturday, September 24, 2011

Admire women.

How do you pay tribute to someone who refuses to be recognized? How do you say "thank you" to someone who denies giving you a gift? How do you honor the humble? You don't tell them you're doing it.

I know a woman who I greatly admire, a woman I love with all my heart. When I'm anxious or afraid I can close my eyes and feel the rumble and heat of her lawn mower as we rode around the yard or recall the precious scent of yellowing books in a wood paneled hallway where she read to me. I can hear her singing folk songs so old that they cannot be googled, researched, or located anywhere other than certain treasured memories from her childhood, and now mine. There is so much more I could say about this woman I adore, but mostly all I need to express is - I love my Grandma.

My mother's mother

She rose obediently before the dawn

with aching back

bruised feet

and no complaint

So that she might raise four skinny kids

without dishwasher

daycare

or charity. 

Her eyes were on God
and her hands were busy.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, perfectly executed. It's a wonderful definition of our Grandma!

    ReplyDelete