Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Why does the male moth get all the colors?


Floating with my husband in the community pool at midnight, I'm captivated by a
large brown moth carving measured patterns in the air above us. Closer and
closer she dances towards us, trying to sneak past our mysterious forms
to the beautiful warm glow that is the underwater pool lighting. I can almost
envision the grin on her tiny triumphant face as she finally comes close
enough to dive towards her goal. "What a clever moth I am!" I mock aloud as
we bear witness to her almost victory. WHAM! The impact our ears cannot hear
rocks her small body and now I can see the panic, the terror as she flaps and
splutters in the deadly
monsoon sized ripples our bodies have made.
Not willing to watch her drown I grab my rescue apparatus, an abandoned pair
of goggles, and compassionately fish her out. What a joy, what a sweet and
simple relief to see her gradually dry her wings and take flight again above us!
I love watching her in these slow hypnotic patterns, in WHAM! She's in the
pool again! Struggling now not only against the waters heavy soaking weight,
but also exhausted from her recent brawl with this same enemy. A bit
amused, I lift her to safety once again, this time much further away from the
irresistibly wet grave she so obviously craves. An hour later, as I'm dragging
my endearingly "child-at-heart" husband from the pool, I spot my moth.
"This is how you thank me!?" Huffy and annoyed I walk away from the
doomed creature who apparently will not learn self preservation skills even
in the face of certain death. My husband laughs at my pouting and cannot
understand my frustration. "Over a moth? Why is it such a tragedy to lose one
when there are a million others just alike?
"

Much later, as I collapse gratefully into bed, into my loving husband's
waiting arms, it occurs to me that I'm the insignificant moth who might never
learn. I'm the silly moth Lord, and you're my patient savior. There are trillions
others just like me, many who could do my job, who could rent my apartment,
who could walk my dog. There are even a few who could love my husband
and a few more who could complete my family. Although I'm one of many,
a grain of sand on the beach, you love me enough to know why I'm worth
saving again and again and again. How grateful am I that the one God sent
to rescue me from sin and death is not as easily thwarted as me, but forever
powerful, forever merciful, forever in love with me.

Today I praise God for his patience, without which I would be a thing marked
for death, a woman awaiting my turn to drown.

2 comments:

  1. I meant to post that about you being an amazing writer on THIS post.....sorry. But hey, at least we know YOUR comments are working now. Try mine out would ya!??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you had a blog - I LOVED reading this story about the moth and how it is like us and God - it was a beautiful example. It makes me think of the times in my life when God fished me out of the pool only to turn around and see me jump back in toward that light at the bottom :) I'm glad he keeps saving me from myself and is forever patient with me too.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete